Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The wine's fine, but I'm drawn to the vine





Our visit to a few of Margaret River's wineries were wasted on me. I couldn't tell you the difference between boxed wine and a really good wine. Come to think of it, I can't even think of a brand name of a decent wine. During the tastings, I just nodded and agreed with everyone. But really, can you tell me what a mature wine tastes like? Can you detect earthy or fruity or citrusy or floral notes? I didn't think so. That's why I let James and Keren decide what was good and bought whatever they did. It's called faking it, folks.

I was more interested in the scenery. Hope you enjoy the photos. While they don't translate the true beauty of the surroundings, you'll get a taste for it. And if you're really lucky (and if United's baggage allowances quit being ridiculous), I'll not have broken into the bottles I purchased and some will actually make it home with me. I'll give the nice wine to my family. I'm fine with Franzia.

No comments: