Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A 2km walk, WA style




We took a short city break from Perth and spent a few days in Margaret River. We made a couple stops along the way, including the Busselton Jetty. This wooden jetty's the longest in the Southern Hemisphere, stretching nearly 2 kms.

So we each paid the $2.50 to walk the jetty. A bit disappointing, I should say. The winds were extreme, which kept us clutching to the one rail. Yes, one rail. So basically you could quite easily fall into the ocean. I saw a beer can on the jetty along the way back. Call me crazy, but drinking and one-rail jetty walking just don't go together.

But even worse was the fact that the underwater observatory was gated shut at the end of the jetty due to poor conditions. We paid the fare and were wind-whipped for nearly 2 kms to basically be told to come back on a sunnier day.

On a brighter note, it was one of the rare times I was that far out into the ocean and not covered in my own vomit.

No comments: