All right everybody, tonight is my very last night in Australia. Well, for now at least.
I can't believe this experience is over. It's always a funny time when a chapter of your life closes and another one begins. I don't know what I'm off to next, but I do know that I'll often think back on this experience as a very special time in my life. I'm so glad I did this.
So as I head home, I think a thank you to Australia is in order. I wrote a list a few weeks back about what I miss most about home. Below is what I'll miss most about Australia.
1. Living a short walk from the ocean
2. The Aussie way of shortening words (i.e. brekky, Chrissy time, arvo, sunnies, Brissy, Tassie)
3. Aussie slang (up the duff's my fave)
4. Australian TV (Denton, Border Security, Kath & Kim, Summer Heights High. Hell, I'll even miss Home and Away)
5. The supplements in the weekend papers
7. Cadbury Dairy Milk bars
8. Cheap domestic airfare
9. Being so close to New Zealand
10. All the beautiful travel spots (the Whitsundays, Airlie Beach, Cairns)
11. The Daintree rainforest
12. Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays
13. The weather!
14. Tea'se Me
15. Aussie breakfasts (especially poached eggs!)
16. Surry Hills
17. Cara at Barberia
18. Margaret River, WA
19. The Sydney Opera House
20. Taking ferries regularly
21. The widespread availability of kebabs
22. Australia's reception of backpackers
23. Australia's love of travel
24. Being able to see Hamish Blake on a regular basis
25. Everything made by Arnott's
26. Tim Tams Double Coat
27. Absolutely no security at the airport
28. Tea cafes
30. How everybody always dresses up
31. Aussie beer
32. Paddington in Sydney
33. Outdoor markets (esp. Salamanca in Hobart)
34. Australia Zoo
35. Seeing koalas and kangaroos in the wild
36. Kevin Rudd, P.M.
37. Lachlan Barry O'Leary
38. Watching Aussie journalists 'interpret' American news
39. Creamed honey
40. My friends from school
41. The Europeans from the Whitsundays
43. The Rocks pubs (Mercantile, Glenmore and Hero of Waterloo)
44. El Monde on Favreau
45. Skim flat whites
46. Kangaroo meat (it still doesn't feel right, but it tastes so good)
47. Stanwell Park
I'm sure there are thousands of things I'm forgetting, but that's just a quick list. My time in Australia helped me realize that I had lived a very sheltered life. Looking back on everything I've been through these past nine months, my mind just floods with memories. So many my head almost begins to hurt. But what I'm taking way most from this experience is a new understanding and respect for our differences.
1 hour ago