Saturday, August 30, 2008

A proper Aussie tea party


If Australian culture's rubbed off on me, it's most evident by my new found tea-drinking habit. Actually, addiction is a better word for it.

I can't remember the last morning I've gone without a cup of tea within 10 minutes of waking. It's part of me now. I've already picked out the kettle I want when I return to the States. It's a bright red one from Crate and Barrel--you can't miss it (if anyone's interested).

While I drink about seven cups of tea daily, I only very recently enjoyed a proper afternoon tea. My Aussie friend, Keren, was kind enough to introduce me to the practice (and some new carbohydrates along the way).

Besides serving the tea in a proper pot (unlike my not-so-charming way of simply flipping on a dingy, old kettle), Keren also whipped up a variety of sweets. We ate scones with jam and double cream, miniature lemon tarts and eclairs with a mocha frosting. She's like a pint-sized, honest, Aussie Martha Stewart.

The scones were my favourite. And I'm sure the double cream will--in some way--remain on me forever. Whatever. It was fun and classy.

No comments: