Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Steinbachs come to Sydney




Two of my great friends from high school, Ann and Ryan Steinbach, came out to Australia earlier this week, and luckily I saw them on their last day in Sydney.

Jenny and I took them to Turonga Zoo, where we got a good look at some drowsy koalas and saw a great seal show, among many other things.

Turonga's a beautiful place. It's built upon a hill that can only be accessed by ferry. Once you get there, you get in these little pods that fit about six people each that zip line you right up to the top of the zoo. It's a pretty cool entrance. Being so high up, the zoo also provides some magnificent views of the city.

Sadly, we missed the reptile photo time, so Ann and I couldn't get a photo holding a snake. I'm not too crushed though, I probably would've wussed out if I actually had the opportunity in front of me. And Ryan wasn't able to see the elusive platypus that he was so excited about. And did I mention that Ann and I both got sunburnt?

Amazingly, though, it was a fantastic day. I still can't believe I spent time with two great friends from home in Sydney, Australia. If someone had told us when we were seniors in high school back in Sioux City, Iowa, that this would happen, I doubt any of us would've believed it.

No comments: