Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Take out the octopus, and it would be just about perfect




As I reflect on my time in Australia, I am amazed by what I've seen. I've been so many places--Coastal Queensland, Tassie, Melbourne, all over Sydney--and even Auckland, New Zealand.

But my trip to Perth completely, utterly blew me away. Western Australia is just my style.

Sure, it pales in Sydney's glamour. It doesn't have Melbourne's shopping. It doesn't have Queensland's tourist appeal and crop of crazies. But Perth is young, fresh and so obviously on the brink of greatness. I fell for it.

Thanks to my Aussie, friend Keren, we were able to stay with her very generous brother who moved to Perth 3 months ago. He carted us around for the better part of week, driving us to some cool suburbs and even to Margaret River--Southwest Australia's prime wine country.

Above are some photos I took in Fremantle, a large suburb in Perth's southwest. The top one is of octopus at Little Creatures Brewery. Such a cool, open air place. We went for lunch at around 2:30 and this place was bouncing off the freaking walls. It was fantastic. The brewery's Pale Ale was delicious...and that's an adjective never meant for beer. The octopus, though...well that's another story. I tried it though, and will be damned if I ever make that mistake again!

The next photo is the facade of the Fremantle markets. I've become a real market connoisseur since being in Oz, and this one was on the lower end. Definitely not a Salamanca, but I still managed to walk out with a couple crappy postcards.

The final is a photo of Keren and I before we toured the Fremantle Prison/Convict Establishment.

Honestly, I could write until my fingers dropped off about this place. But I don't want to--and you probably wouldn't want to read it anyway. Ask me about it when I get home, it's better if I tell it. But be prepared for an earful.

No comments: