Monday, October 20, 2008

QVC? Try QVB



It was an absolutely GORGEOUS day in Sydney on Saturday. Jenny and I were in town running a couple errands, but for the most part, the day was ours to do whatever we wanted. And I was dying to spend more time in the Queen Victoria Building.

As mentioned in the post below, the few minutes I spent there earlier in the week were enough to plant a few thousand seeds of intrigue. I'm just disappointed I never noticed this gorgeous building before. I've probably passed it dozens of times on the street and really never thought to go in. I guess I never imagined it was a shopping center, and I'm not entirely convinced it should be. I suspect this stunning building is suffering from an identity complex.

The stores are really out of my price range. And as much as I hate window shopping when I there's no hope of purchasing, I simply loved being there for the architecture. The huge hanging clocks, Anglican stained glass and imperial arches give the place not so much a modern upscale feel, but rather an almost imposing regality. I felt a bit out of place. But I also think the posh stores it houses aren't fit to be there, either. Though oddly enough, I'm perfectly fine with the exclusion.

No comments: