Monday, October 13, 2008

I MET DENTON!



AND I BET NONE OF YOU KNOW WHAT THAT EVEN MEANS!

Okay, I'm worked up.

I've written about Andrew Denton before. But in case you still have no clue who I'm referring to, Mr. Denton is arguably Australia's most recognisable television personality. If you've never heard of him, please YouTube him now. Seriously, don't even worry about reading the rest of this post. I'd recommend viewing his interview with Steve Irwin. But be warned, after watching that interview, you'll likely be parked in front of your computer screen for the next quarter century because you'll want to watch every episode. It's that good, folks.

Andrew Denton has interviewed just about everyone you know and a hell of a lot of those you don't. Today's taping was the third I've attended. So far I've seen interviews with a politician, a model, a paralympian, and a man who started a quirky online dancing sensation. But today's subject was my favourite--Philippe Petit, a tight-rope walker. Petit was absolutely lovely. An extraordinary man who views the world much differently than most of us. In many ways, I'm quite jealous of him. I've never encountered someone who exemplifies the real meaning of living in quite the way Petit does. He's a man with wings.

That's what I love so much about Andrew Denton's show (which is called Enough Rope if I didn't mention it before). Earlier today, I would've thought Philippe Petit was some pompous French restaurant in L.A. But now Petit has inspired me to try approaching things a bit differently. Sure I'm not hopping up on any tight wires any time soon, but I see the metaphor lurking.

Most importantly though, Andrea, Jenny and I had the opportunity to chat with Mr. Denton after the show. He's a real charmer--he asked us plenty of questions and didn't rush us even though there were a group of people waiting for snaps.

As a journalist, it's refreshing to meet someone like Andrew Denton. There's a nasty stereotype that journos are pushy, cunning, perhaps a bit unethical. But I am proud to be a journalist knowing Andrew Denton joins me in the trade. His show reminds me why I chose this career--to listen to people's stories and send them out to the world.

No comments: