Thursday, October 23, 2008

The politics of...Peanut Butter Perfection?

I've resisted mentioning anything about the U.S. presidential election because talking about politics always seems to get me in trouble. But this election is special to me--not only because I'm quite passionate about one of the candidates but also because I am witnessing this election essentially from the viewpoint of another country.

Australia, like much of the world, is deeply invested in this election. When I was at the Enough Rope taping a few weeks back, Andrew Denton mentioned how Australians are more familiar and concerned with the American election than their own domestic politics. It kind of reminded me of how John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ. It seems like nonsense, but it's true.

Now if Aussies can develop highly-defined opinions about this election, then why can't some Americans? As the election hits the home stretch, the limelight has fallen on the undecided voters. Check out this article by the great David Sedaris. I think you'll find it a refreshing departure from most of the political writing out there at the moment.

While it's amazing to me that there are folks who can't make up their minds on the direction America should take, I'm jealous of them at the same time.

Getting involved in politics is like going to Cold Stone Creamery for the first time. You know you shouldn't, but you're curious. You might just want to give it a go, let's say for your birthday. But that's it. You just want to go once and never again. But before you know it you're back there every Saturday until the day you die. You know all the songs. You quickly side with the flavours you like and cut down anyone who chooses those you don't ("Anyone who eats toasted coconut or cashews in their ice cream belongs in the funny farm." or "Really, does anyone over age 7 eat Bubble Gum ice cream?). You alienate your non-butterfat-loving friends and begin viewing fit people as elitists. Pretty soon, your life revolves around Mud Pie Mojo and Cookie Doughn't You Want Some.

You following me?

Okay, maybe that analogy's stretching it a bit. But what I'm trying to get across is that nowadays, most people just can't seem to take politics in moderation. Even Australians, who have absolutely no say in who wins the U.S. election, have a compelling need to voice their opinions and take a side. And now we're starting to badger those who haven't made a decision yet. Is being undecided such an awful thing?

Yes, people who don't consider politics part of their identity are pretty damn lucky. Maybe they know something I don't. But it's really no use trying to figure that out. I am who I am, and it's not likely to change anytime soon. And I think if we all--Democrat, Republican and elusive Independent--had that understanding about one another, then we'd all be in a better place.

And who knows? Maybe that place is Cold Stone Creamery.

No comments: