Thursday, June 12, 2008

A night at the Opera


Jenny and I have gazed (or gawked) at the splendor of the Sydney Opera House plenty of times since we've been here, but we finally found ourselves inside the place last week.

We saw Hamlet...at the Sydney Opera House. I still can't get over how cool the whole thing is! It was a really great night--we caught a light dinner at Ship Inn in Circular Quay, then we grabbed a glass of wine at the outdoor Opera Bar before the Friday evening show. It was a beautiful evening and the crystal clear Harbour Bridge view was unbeatable. It really made me think about where I was a year ago and how your life can change in such a short amount of time.

Our showing was a preview show (which is how we snagged $35 tickets) and was actually the first time the cast had performed the show in its entirety. You wouldn't have known it, though. I thought it was fantastic, despite the fact that some of the actors couldn't part with their Aussie accents.

I did notice one thing during intermission. There were some families at the show with young or teenage children. Can you imagine being an 8-year-old and going to see Hamlet at the Sydney Opera House? I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the fact that going to the Sydney Opera House is just going to the opera for some people out there. Blows my mind.

No comments: