Friday, June 20, 2008

Lay off the meat pie, mate


I never thought I'd see the day when Americans were not labeled the fattest people on earth. Well apparently the title follows me wherever I go. I swear, Australia, this has nothing to do with me! Anyway, read the article below and you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/nine-million-australians-are-a-ticking-fat-bomb-20080619-2tjv.html

Over 9 million Aussie adults are obese or overweight...that's nearly half the population of the entire country! They're now the fattest people on the planet.

It's hardly a surprise, though. While I've noticed that their portion sizes are considerably smaller than in the States (even at universal restaurants like McDonald's), the national foods of Oz are destined to remain on your hips long after they're consumed. Meat pies, sausage rolls, deep fried and battered fish are staples. Chips (french fries) are EVERYWHERE.

But the most figure damning of them all? One word--Cadbury.

The Australian confectionery industry is unlike anything in America. And yes, I would know. Candy aisles here are twice the size of their American counterparts and for good reason. The candy here is way better, which makes it way harder to resist. Which is way Aussies are now so bloody fat!

For as long as I can remember, I've struggled with my weight. I grew up in a state with substantial weight problems. Then I moved to Chicago, one of America's most super-sized cities with its famed deep dish pizza and hot dogs (which I often dream about...). I thought I was making a healthy move by heading down under! Instead it looks like I'm just chasing the fat.

No comments: