Saturday, April 5, 2008

Surfers/Shoppers Paradise



The final leg of our trip was in Surfers Paradise. While it was nice to finally have a few days of sheer nothingness, I think we could've left a day earlier. The shopping was incredible, but you can really get through it all pretty easily in a day or two. The beaches were nice during peak sun hours, but once 4 pm struck the shadows from all the tall buildings nearby would cut the party short. We'd have to pack up all our stuff to move to a sunny square a few meters away, only to have to move again 20 minutes later because the shadows would follow us! I guess I'd describe Surfers as an American city that somehow took a wrong turn and wound up in Australia. While it was borderline tacky, it did have something that I desperately needed and that many Australian cities lacked--A Starbucks. I guess it wasn't all that bad.

No comments: