Saturday, April 26, 2008

Anzac Day


Anzac Day was this past Friday the 25th. For those who don't know, Anzac stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. The day, which is similar to America's Memorial Day or Veteran's Day, commemorates the Anzacs who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. Over 10,000 Anzacs died during that battle.

Australia makes a huge deal out of this holiday. There were parades, dawn services, lively traditions (such as 2-up, a gambling game that's legal to play only on Anzac Day), special sporting matches, people even bake Anzac biscuits (they're similar to oatmeal cookies). But what I was most blown away by was that thousands of Aussies and Kiwis actually go to Gallipoli to pay their respects. Seriously, they go all the way to Turkey.

The reverence that Australia gives to their fallen war heroes puts Americans to shame. Here's the deal, there are plenty of Americans who say they support the troops and the war, but what do they do for Memorial Day or Veteran's Day? Some families have picnics or go to parades, but would thousands of Americans go to overseas to where the soliders actually fought to honour them? I sincerely doubt it. And I'm not saying I'd do it either. Frankly, I wouldn't.

Every Australian I've talked to is anti-war, but that doesn't deter them from supporting their army. This country steps up when they're called on. I think that's extremely cool.

No comments: