Sunday, March 9, 2008

Who doesn't love rappers from New Zealand?


So Flight of the Conchords graced the cover of the Sydney Morning Herald's Spectrum this week, which of course made me squeal like...well, like I had suddenly come across a lizard on my doorstep.

Anyway, I think Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement (the duo that make up Flight of the Conchords) are the two funniest men on the planet right now (again not getting paid for this*). Their big break came when HBO gave the native New Zealanders their own show fusing scripted material with their quirky musical numbers.

If you're in the States and not familiar with these guys, then I think you should hightail it right now to your neighborhood Blockbuster and pick up the Season 1 DVD. It might be a bit mature for the kiddies (unless you're interested in teaching them how to flip the bird), but other than that, you'll like it a lot, I'm sure.

Now apparently the show hasn't even hit Aussie television. I guess I just assumed it would've hit airwaves here much earlier simply because Bret and Jemaine are New Zealanders (which looking at it, is a pretty silly reason). It'll be interesting to see what the folks here will think of the show when it airs later this year (there's plenty of playful digs at Aussies), though I'm sure it will be huge.

*If Bret and/or Jemaine would like to personally thank me monetarily or otherwise, you know how to find me!

No comments: