Friday, July 4, 2008

This is not a joke


Signs like this were sprinkled all throughout Great Ocean Road.

It struck me as strange because I'd never seen signs like this in Australia. Our tour guide didn't elaborate on the reasoning behind them, but a chance meeting at a bus stop proved more enlightening than I originally thought.

While I was waiting for a bus in Sydney shortly before my Melbourne trip, a man struck up a conversation with me. We talked about what I thought of Australia, and I mentioned how I was going to Melbourne and taking a tour of Great Ocean Road.

He told me that a few years back an American man hired a motorcycle to ride Great Ocean Road. He didn't make it very far, though. Less than a day after arriving in the country, he was killed on Great Ocean Road for driving on the wrong side of the road.

Now I don't know if these signs are a direct result of that poor man's death, but I'm inclined to believe they are. Everyone on the tour thought the signs were pretty ridiculous, but who knows how many uninformed foreigners' lives have been saved from them?

No comments: