Monday, February 25, 2008

Welcome home


So after our run in with the lizard-guarded property from hell, Jenny and I weren't feeling so great.

We trudged to the University, the only place we could think of for help. We made it up to accommodation services and it was there that I broke down in tears at the woman's desk. I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. But the thing about a legitimate cry is that it gets people to respond. And respond this woman did. She got to work straightaway and by the time we left the office, we had in our hands stacks of available properties to choose from.

We walked to a nearby atrium on campus and began making calls. We got ahold of a property manager who had a 4-bedroom fully-furnished property located right across the street from school. We were able to check it out immediately, which we did. It was what I had envisioned as the ideal Australian abode--a cozy, dark brick ranch with a winding porch and white posts and a tropical garden. It was cheap and the location was unbeatable. But there was a problem--there were only two of us and four bedrooms.

However, the kindly Sri Lankan couple living behind the house recommended we call some girls who also showed interest in the property. They gave us their numbers and we gave them a call right then and there and they (there were two of them) said they were meeting with the landlord at the property in 20 minutes to secure the deal. Turns out, the only thing they needed were two female roommates.

There is a God.

Long story short, on our second day in Australia at around 3 pm., we moved into our new house at 1/5 Madoline St. with Hannah, an Aussie, and Farrah from Pakistan. And so far, the arrangement has worked out just great.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Kelly- Keep the stories coming! I love them, it makes me feel like I am almost there with you :) I freaking love your house! I want to see the inside!

Kelly said...

Thanks, Katie! I'll put some interior pics up asap!