Friday, February 29, 2008

Officially an honorary Australian


My Aussie roommate Hannah recently informed me that people from other cultures can become "honorary Australians," provided they fulfill certain requirements.

For Americans, apparently if you can stomach Vegemite you're in. As it turns out, tonight I discovered that I really enjoy the stuff!

Simply put, Vegemite is concentrated yeast extract. Sounds pretty nasty, and most Americans regard it as such. The only nutritional claim I can find is that it's rich in B vitamins. Vegemite can be eaten a variety of ways, but mine was pretty simple--on toast with butter. It has a very savory and salty flavor, which I love.

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised I like Vegemite. I've hardly heard a good thing about it since I arrived here--even some Aussies who weren't raised on it say they'd rather eat a pan-fried lizard than taste the stuff. But I'll be bringing jars of it back to the States---that, along with other Oz staples including Darrell Lea Strawberry Liquorice, Jatz Crackers and crumpets...lots and lots of crumpets.

Anyway, I'm pretty thrilled that at least one Aussie here considers me one of her own. Even more importantly, the next time I hear Men at Work's "Land Down Under," I'll know exactly what his vegemite sandwich tastes like.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Oh my God that is what they are saying in that song! I always thought it was "bit of my sandwich" but really it is vegimite sandwich. Wow! the things one can learn while reading blogs.

Unknown said...

ok you look so cute in those pics SO CUTE... it looks so beautiful there! magazinesque! :) I wish I was there with you my lizard loving sister. Things sound great - and if you like the flight of the conchords (i think I spelled that right?) you have to see tiger verse shark or something like that. I saw it and it was pretty hilarious. anyways I love the canon to. were about to go out to eat for the twins bday ... wish you were here! you look great, Australia looks rad, and I hope you meet a big rugby player :)